ASID Headquarters, Washington D.C.
Photo credit Eric Laignel of Perkins and Will
Read more about the ASID Headquarters in Washington D.C. – the first space in the world to earn both LEED and WELL v1 Platinum Certification
“Green Building with Automated Shades” CEU Article
“Office Space for the People” Article
“Lutron Lighting and Shade Control Systems Help the ASID Achieve Dual Platinum Ratings at New HQ”
Zurich Headquarters, Schaumburg, Illinois
Photo credit James Steinkamp Photography
Read more about Zurich’s new North America Headquarters and how Lutron’s shading and lighting control helped to achieve the project’s design, sustainability, and performance goals.
Lutron has been creating shading solutions for more than 20 years. Infact, shades by Lutron are in the most recognized commercial buildings around the world, including 6 of the 10 tallest buildings worldwide. From simple manual or motorized shades to solar adaptive ones, Lutron shades enhance facade design, reduce glare, preserve views, and maximize daylight.
“Realize Your Building’s Full Potential with the Right Daylighting Strategy” article
Lutron’s new Contract Roller is a comprehensive, commercial grade roller shade line designed to meet the performance and budget requirements of any commercial application.
Simple specification and configuration
- Over 300 high performance and sustainable fabrics – browse and order free samples at www.PerformanceShadingAdvisor.com
- A complete roller shade line for commercial applications.
- A single-provider solution that seamlessly integrates the appropriate shade and lighting control for every space in the building.
Scalable, flexible solutions
- Integrated, motorized shades and lighting controls provide sophisticated, automated light control to any building.
- New, commercial-grade manual shades complement the Lutron motorized shades offering sturdy, reliable components.
- These commercial-grade shading solutions ensure design consistency throughout your building and feature Lutron’s superior quality, service, and delivery.
- 100% of Lutron shading solutions, including the Contract Roller, are end-of-line tested to ensure the highest level of quality and customer satisfaction
Lutron’s web-based Performance Shading Advisor transforms the complicated task of choosing fabrics into a simple selection process. This innovative, commercially-focused tool gives architects and designers the ability to optimize the design of their shading system based on building performance and aesthetic preference. Reduce glare, maximize daylight, preserve view, and enhance your design.
- Save projects and store fabrics
- Order fabric samples
- Generate customized reports:
– CSI specs
– Detailed project performance summary
– Files for daylight simulation (BSDF)
– Health Product Declarations (HPDs)
- Intelligent Hembar Alignment (IHA) offers superior precision alignment. Shades track together and stop at programmable preset positions within 1/8” of each other at all time. IHA maintains design intent and provides a clean aesthetic from the building exterior.
- Design shading solution as a part of the facade and window system to balance building performance and aesthetics.
- Variety of fabrics in different colors, textures, and weaves makes it easy to choose the right shade for your application.
- Lutron has a variety of controls available in different colors, finishes, and configurations to complement any décor.
- Lutron Compatible Shade Pocket by Armstrong provides seamless integration between ceiling and window system
- Daylight glare can cause significant eyestrain and discomfort. Occupant productivity can be greatly decreased if glare is not properly controlled.* In commercial buildings, the cost of occupants’ salary and benefits is often 100x more expensive than total building energy cost.
- Control glare without compromising aesthetics and views.
- The right fabric can greatly reduce or eliminate glare independent of manual, motorized, or automated shade control.
- Lutron’s Performance Shading Advisor can estimate your glare probability.
* Heschong Mahone Group, Inc., 2003. Windows and Offices: A study of office worker performance and the indoor environment. Prepared for California Energy Commission.
- Increase energy savings through shading. Research shows that compared to a system where shades remain closed, automated shades can provide an additional 65% daytime lighting energy savings.*
- Lutron Hyperion® Automated Shades double the useful daylight zone in commercial offices.
For more information on how Lutron automated shades can save energy with daylight harvesting* Purdue University (2010) conducted daylight harvesting simulations for a typical private office with different window to wall ratios and shade fabrics to show the benefit of Lutron Hyperion software.
- View preservation is the ability to maintain exterior views to provide occupants with a connection to the outdoors. Providing a general connection to outdoors through views can cause an improvement in productivity, mood, and well-being. Without consideration during shading system design, these views will not be utilized effectively.
- Views are maintained in two ways:
- 1. Opening the shades more often for unobstructed views. Lutron’s solar adaptive shading keeps the shades open when conditions are comfortable.
- 2. Choose from diverse fabric options that preserve views when closed.
Decrease solar heat gain
- Without a solar barrier, radiant heat from direct sun, as well as the warm glass, can make occupants feel much warmer than the interior room temperature would indicate.
- Shades can be specified with high Solar Reflectance (Rs) values to improve thermal comfort.
Manual Roller Shades
Contract Roller: Manual
With the right fabric, Lutron high quality, commercial-grade manual shades can help protect building occupants from harmful glare and uncomfortable thermal gain. While manual shades do require that occupants take an active role in managing daylight and glare, they can economically and effectively control daylight and preserve views.
Motorized roller shades
Contract Roller: QS Wired
Contract Roller: QS Wireless
Contract Roller Motorized shades coordinate with Lutron Contract Roller manual roller shades for local area control that allows lights and shades to operate independently, or as part of a preset scene.
Available as a stand-alone solution, or as part of a fully automated system with Lutron Hyperion solar-adaptive technology (QS wired shades only), Lutron motorized shades deliver superior daylighting performance. This dynamic solution can reduce excess glare and heat gain while maximizing daylight and views for building occupants, and enhancing space aesthetics
Control the Sivoia QS Triathlon shading system at the touch of a button with programmable, easy-to-use keypads.
Pico® wireless control
International seeTouch® wallstation
seeTouch QS wallstation
Signature Series QS Keypad
Contract Roller: QS & QS Wireless can use the following interfaces for convenient, reliable daylight control.
Contact closure interface
QS Sensor Module
GRAFIK Eye QS main units control multiple shade and light zones and creates light scenes at the touch of a button.
GRAFIK Eye® QS main unit
GRAFIK Eye QS main unit with EcoSystem®
Complement any décor with our wide array of high performance spec grade or sustainable solar screens and blackouts.
Contract Roller: Manual
Contract Roller: QS Wired
Contract Roller: QS Wireless
Contract Roller: QS & QS Wireless can be powered via the following supplies.
Individual power supply
QS Smart Panel
Contract Roller integrates with the following Lutron systems:
Quantum Total Light Management
Hyperion Solar Adaptive Shading
GRAFIK Eye® QS
Radio Window™ sensor
The following reference chart provides a list of model numbers for components that make up a